There are services available if you need legal help. Lawyers and law firms have different specialties, such as real estate, family law and criminal law. Legal aid is also available if you need it.

Emergency aid

Contact Durham Region emergency shelters if you are experiencing domestic abuse or violence, or call the Assaulted Women's Helpline at 1-866-863-0511.

Legal aid

If you need free legal advice or representation because you cannot pay for a private lawyer's services, contact Legal Aid Ontario or the Durham Community Legal Clinic.

They can help direct you to:

  • Free telephone services.
  • Duty counsel services.
  • Criminal law help.
  • Family law help.
  • Mediation services.
  • Community and specialty clinics.

Immigration and refugee services

If you are an immigrant or refugee looking for legal services, contact Legal Aid Ontario online or call them at 1-800-668-8258.

They can help you:

  • Try to enter or remain in Canada.
  • Get free advice or legal information.
  • With a domestic violence situation in the language of your choice.


If you are an immigrant, Legal Aid Ontario's immigration services can help:

  • Represent you at a detention review.
  • Represent you at immigration appeals.
  • Complete an application for you to stay in Canada on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.


If you are a refugee, Legal Aid Ontario's refugee services can:

  • Fill in your Basis of Claim (BOC) and related forms for immigration and citizenship.
  • Represent you at your Refugee Protection Division (RPD) hearing.
  • Prepare a written appeal of your case to the Refugee Appeal Division (RAD).
  • Prepare a judicial review application in federal court.
  • Represent you at the RPD for a cessation or vacation hearing.
  • Help you prepare a pre-removal risk assessment.
  • Help you write a danger opinion.

View an immigration, refugee and citizenship fees list.

Finding a private lawyer

To find a private lawyer or law firm, you can:

Contact Us