You will need to know if your credentials, training and education from your native country are recognized in Ontario. If not, you may need to take further education or training to work in your field.


Credentials include:

  • Courses.
  • Certificates.
  • Diplomas.
  • Degrees.
  • Previous work experience.
  • Professional certifications.

Assess your credentials in Canada before applying for jobs. There are a variety of organizations that can assist with the process of getting your foreign credentials assessed and translated into their Ontario equivalents. Some of these organizations include: 

Trades and skilled workers

If you are looking to work as a Federal Skilled Worker (FSW), the Government of Canada outlines steps you need to take. See if your trade is regulated.

Regulated jobs

There are for regulated jobs (such as architects, plumbers or engineers), trades (such as bakers, carpenters or electricians) and non-regulated occupations. Find out if your job is regulated.

Learn more about how to continue working in your profession or trade in Ontario if you've already been trained in another country.

Studying in Durham Region

Learn more about adult education and training.

Bridging programs

Get information on bridging programs that can help you get licensed and certified for the career you want in Durham Region.

Learn about different types of jobs

Not sure which job would be the best fit for you? The Government of Canada posts information about different types of occupations and job profiles. Learn more here: Search job profiles (

Contact Us