You can enroll your child in one of many Durham region school systems.

If your child is between the ages of 6 and 18, they are required by law to attend a school. You can also enroll children aged 4 to 5 in kindergarten.

Students are enrolled in the elementary school system by birth date. Secondary school students (children aged 14 to 18) are placed in courses appropriate to their learning level.

Settlement Workers in School (SWIS)

Settlement Workers in Schools (SWIS) is a program for newcomer families that is available in all elementary and secondary schools in Durham. It connects newcomer families to services and resources within the school and community. A SWIS worker can help you with registering your children to attend school.

Registering for school

You must register your child before the first day of school. Usually, your home address determines the school your child will attend.

To register your child, you must show:

  • Proof of the student’s age (birth certificate or passport).

  • Proof of your address (copy of a bank statement, telephone or electrical bill, or rental housing lease).

  • Proof of guardianship (if the student is under 18 and not living with a parent).

  • Proof of student’s immigration status, such as a Canadian passport, a Record of Landing (MM 1000), a confirmation of permanent residence (IMM5292), a permanent resident card, or a refugee protection claimant document (IMM1442).

  • The student’s record of immunization.

Students attending private schools pay a fee to attend. New students in Canada also pay fees to attend school if attending on a visa.

Finding a school

School boards in the region include:

To find a school near you, use the Durham School District Locator.

French immersion and international students

Learn more about French immersion schools, international languages and enrolling international students from kindergarten to Grade 12.

Contact Us