You need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada. You must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a temporary resident to apply for a SIN. You also need a SIN for some government programs and benefits.

How to apply

To apply for a SIN, you need to provide proof of your identity and your legal status in Canada. Learn more about the documents required for your SIN application. You also need to meet eligibility requirements.

Protect your SIN

It is very important that you protect your SIN. Your SIN is for you and you alone, it cannot be shared. You do no need to provide your SIN to everyone who asks for it. Learn more about who can ask for your SIN and what to do in cases of fraud.  

Contact Us