Where to find kitchen equipment, appliances and cooking tools
Most towns and cities in Durham have shopping centres which may have kitchen specialty shops. Also, large department stores will be offer a selection of cooking equipment, appliances and utensils. Home renovation and hardware stores also offer appliances, large and small. Also, many large grocery stores can offer you some cooking appliances, tools and supplies. You could also find pots, pans and some cooking and baking tools at various bargain centres and bulk stores.
Liaison College, Durham Campus, offers a chef's diploma for the serious cook. If you are just interested in one or two classes, check at your local community centre or seniors' centre for more informal cooking classes. Find more information on specialty classes, such as vegetarian cooking classes at the DurhamVeg website.
The larger grocery stores, often called "SuperStores" have classrooms and offer programs all year. Check at your grocery store for more information.
Where to find cooking recipes and information
Of course, the Internet is a great place to find recipes. Your local public library also offers you a vast selection of cookbooks and, occasionally programs on various aspects of cooking and nutrition.
The number one cause of residential fires in North America is from cooking. Most kitchen fires are preventable if the following safety tips are followed when cooking.
- When cooking inside the house, only use appliances that are approved for interior use. Barbeques are not safe for use indoors.
- Don't leave cooking appliances unattended while in use. Always stay in the kitchen while you are cooking.
- Remove all items from the stovetop when you're done cooking.
- Use a heat-resistant surface to cool down cookware.
- Keep young children and pets away from stovetops.
- Keep a working fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
- Keep a pot cover nearby to smother flames in the event of a fire.
For more fire safety tips see your local fire department's web site or the Government of Canada's web site.