Skip Navigation LinksDurham Portal > Living > Healthcare > Local Services

Local Services

What is a Public Health Unit and what can it do for me?

Public Health units in Ontario administer health promotion and disease prevention programs to inform the public about healthy life-styles, communicable disease control including education in STDs/AIDS, immunization, food premises inspection, healthy growth and development including parenting education, health education for all age groups and selected screening services. The Durham Region Public Health Unit is located in Whitby at the Durham Region headquarters. 

How do I find a family doctor?

Health Care ConnectIf you do not have a family doctor, Health Care Connect can help you.  Health Care Connects is a program launched by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care to help Ontarians find a family health care provider.  By registering with Health Care Connect, you will be assigned a Care Connector to help you find family health care in your community.  There are two ways to register for Health Care Connects, call 1-800-445-1822 or register online.

What if I have a health care question, do I have to go to a doctor?

Telehealth Ontario OperatorWhen you have a general health question and nowhere to turn, call Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000. Within minutes your questions will be answered, providing you with peace of mind.  It is a free, confidential telephone service that provides a quick and easy access to a Registered Nurse, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The nurse may be able to assess your symptoms and help you decide your best first step.  Together, you can decide whether to care for yourself, make an appointment with your doctor, go to a clinic, contact a community service or go to a hospital emergency room.  A call to Telehealth Ontario does not replace 911 — that's always the first number you should call in emergency situations.

Are there health care services available in my home?

CoupleThe Community Care Access Centres (CCACs) are local organizations across Ontario that connect people with quality in-home and community-based health care. They provide information, direct access to qualified care providers and many comprehensive services to help people come home from the hospital sooner or live independently at home longer. In the Durham Region, the Central East CCAC is located at 920 Champlain Crt., Whitby (as of March 2010). Funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, services are free to eligible individuals who have a valid Ontario Health Card (OHIP). 

What if I have to go to the hospital?

International Symbol for HospitalIn an emergency call 911 for assistance. 

It is important that you know where hospitals are in your community and what services they provide.  There are two general hospitals systems within the Durham Region.

 Mental Health Hospital:



Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)

Durham Hospitals

Copyright © 2010 Durham Region